Monday, June 13, 2011

Chinese Hot and Sour Soup, Little Em's Favorite Food

It was a lovely afternoon.  Summer had slowly started to creep its way into Portland, and as with all Portlanders everyone was outside the minute the sun was out.  Walking, talking, hanging about the parks and going up and down on the swings.  My mother and I were on our way to pick up little Emily, my cute four year old niece, from her day care.  Emily is absolutely one of my favorite people.  I just might choose her as my companion on a deserted island; provided there is a well established food forest and I can bring my cupboard of ingredients.  My latest culinary conquest would become a regular among our edibles upon this island: Hot and Sour soup.  It is Emily’s favorite food to eat when she comes visiting, but up until this day we would go to August Moon for her soup. 
 
Since my mother and I are both struggling financially we decided to make dinners together and save money.  So on this particular evening I suggested we make Hot and Sour soup at home instead of going out to the restaurant.  I didn’t make a truly authentic version, except maybe in flavor I chose to add what I liked.  I believe in soups you should just add what you like and what’s in the fridge.  I used chicken and mushrooms because that’s what we had.  As is always the case little Em was quite excited, and no sooner had I lit the fire underneath the pot she was there standing atop a kitchen chair in apron moving a wooden spoon about in the soup pot.  The soup received an extra heavy hit of fresh ginger as I let Emily scoop the ginger out of my ginger paste jar; never mind, I thought, ginger is my second favorite aromatic, seconded only by garlic.  The sweet and earthy smelly of ginger and mushrooms frying in the pot gave a heavenly scent to the kitchen.

Within less than an hour of the soup being made it was gone.
Emily ate most of it, and asked for me to make it again the very next day.

Hot and Sour Soup

2 chicken tender loins, sliced thin
4 large cremini mushrooms, julienned (To give off the appearance of tofu and Chinese mushrooms)
Sesame Oil
1 tsp ginger
Pint of chicken stock
½ tsp light soy
½ tsp dark soy
Pacific coarse sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 TBS mirin seasoning
2 TBS cornstarch
½ cup water
2 TBS organic, unpasteurized, unfiltered Cider Vinegar (Whole Foods brand, I highly recommend this vinegar)

Heat sesame oil on medium heat on soup pot.  Add chicken and fry, tossing about sometimes, till white.  Add the mushrooms and a little more oil.  Fry till softening a bit.  Add ginger and fry tossing about till wonderfully fragrant.  Pour in the chicken stock slowly.  Bring to a boil, and during this time add the soy sauces, salt, pepper, and mirin.  Once to a boil, turn immediately to low.  Mix the cornstarch with the water and add this to the soup.  Allow to simmer till thickened to a very light cream consistency.  Add the vinegar, taste, and adjust the seasonings as you like.  I found that mine wanted a little extra vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment